Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Crit

I'm up for critique tomorrow! I'll update later to let you know how it goes.

UPDATE:
Well that wasn't so bad ;o) I discussed my work, the process and any technical challenges and that was about it! Only small questions asked i.e. how far apart were the wall pieces going to be separated - my answer = 5mm; and "I bet you don't drink!" - I believe this is in reference to the delicate material and the fine cutting I am doing lol!

I screwed up with one batch of laser decals. In a rush to print them out and get to uni I did not notice that Word changed the size of them!! So they were all 2cm too small. (I'll still use them - maybe in the wall art?)
Yesterday I spent the time at uni cutting and placing decals. It is slow going! Janet was right when she said that my project is huge lol! I thought it was going to be relatively quick to produce them, however I hadn't taken into account the enamels and the drying time between coats - I am building up in layers, Greg suggested I fire inbetween coats instead. I'll definately try this option.
I also need to try a copy glazed to see if it improves the strength of the Keraflex.

Today I am hoping to contact a place in Fyshwick that custom makes perspex to your needs - I'll be using these possibly as the bases. I'll let you know how that progresses...

2 comments:

  1. Hia, why perspex - lightness? Glass might be cheaper! A framer, IKEA clip frame or art glass supplier? Wondered if a brush on glaze would be best for the keraflex? Duncans or cesco or northcote? If you plan on doing laser decals along with glaze test test test, it disappears under most glazes. Laser decals applied On top of glazed is much easier, bugger to apply sometimes tho if the work is delicate. If applying to fired unglazed, something gummy/slippery like gum arabic is a good vehicle and adhesive to hold decals in place. Hope this is helpful, not wanting to interfere or be nosey. I can see you are very 'On IT!' XX E I can help a bit with some firing temps for laser decals on glaze. good results today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elaine, sorry for not responding I'm only just catching everything up!
    I will check out the glass option thanks for the heads up! The other idea I have is to use wood, and maybe even present it in a type of pinhole camera style box... not decided yet ;o).
    I've been successful with glazing so far and I am about to do even more tests using dry glaze and oil instead of water - Greg Daly's idea and I like it!
    I've discovered that the decals adhere well on the gloss side but not on the dull side - gum arabic is a good idea thanks :o).
    You are not interfering or being nosey- Great tips Elaine thank you!

    ReplyDelete